Friday, December 4, 2009

3..2..1..Blast Off

Growing up, I lived where I could see the shuttles as they blasted off into space. It was quite a thrill walking out to the school playground with my class and looking out to see the trail of smoke and a little shuttle head out of the atmosphere. From then on, I have always wanted to be an astronaut.

So, imagine my excitement when I got to be a part of NASA's ground crew the week after Thanksgiving. Okay, maybe not THE NASA, but NASA as in Newfound Aeronautics of Sweet Apple. I got to go into Trinity's class and help them "blast off" for a trip to the moon. They had been studying the moon in their science class and this was their wrap up for the lesson.

All the kids made cool space helmets - after all, you do need oxygen in space - and came to school dressed in their space suits (i.e. any pants and shirt of the same color). They had packed their travel bags. Trinity was very adamant as she prepared her travel bag that it was going to be a very long trip! The left the classroom to go into the hallway to be cleared by NASA control. Earlier in the week, they had completed an application (which was very interesting to read) which had to be approved. Then they came into the room and proceeded to the shuttle cockpit.




All their chairs were lined up laying on the floor. So, when the kids sat/laid in their chairs, they were facing the ceiling (in true astronaut fashion). Apparently our fast was a bit faster than the other classes, so the sitting/laying position got a little old pretty quickly. Then the announcement came over the PA to prepare for launch. They counted down and sent the students into space with a large blastoff noise from the teacher's computer. It was great!! My daughter, the astronaut.


However, I'm still on that quest for outer space travel for myself, so if anyone wants to contribute for my ticket on Virgin Galactic, I'll accept. After all, tickets are only $200,000. I'm sure the experience is priceless though!

0 comments: