Friday, July 17, 2009

Happy 4th of July

The fourth of July was our final full day with the kids at the grandparents. We had almost nothing planned and it was wonderful. We ended up going to the gym that morning and then both of us getting haircuts. That afternoon, we joined a few friends for a relaxing cookout. We had some delicious burgers and some great fellowship. Plus, the fact that we got to simply chat without having to keep track of where the kids were was a small bonus. Thanks Steve and Erica for opening up your house!!


Steve and Craig making homemade ice cream - YUMM!!

After the food, we headed back home and tried something new for the fourth. Our city does a community fireworks show at the high school about 2 miles from our house. This year, we decided to actually walk up close to the display and watch it. We found a huge spot on land that had less than 30 people on it. We set up our chairs and asked one of the other families if we were in a good spot. They said that we were in a great spot. We simply sat there, waiting for the sunlight to completely disappear and the show to begin. We could hear the music from the main festivities at the high school. It was yet another chance to simply sit and enjoy each other's company.




Then the fireworks began!!! And we quickly discovered that all the explosions were happening right behind the one big tree in front of us. So, as smoothly as we could, we picked up most of our stuff and moved over where we had a better spot. From then on, it was great.



However, my photographer mind was creating a picture that I had to try and figure out how to do. Luckily, the picture in my mind matched what came out -


We hope that each of you had a great day celebrating the freedom we have. Yes, there are things that happen I don't like, but I am so thankful that I am free to have my opinions. I am thankful that I can worship freely and openly without fear of who may report me for praising God. I am thankful that I can be a part of people that try to change our government. I am so thankful for my freedom!!

0 comments: