Thursday, June 19, 2008

VBS Week

Wow! What a week this has been. It has been great!! We've had our moments of slight frustration and exhaustion, but overall I love VBS week. I'm one of those crazy people that get into each day as much as I can. I'm loud during the mingling time outside first thing in the morning. I direct the arms of my students who aren't doing the motions during the songs. I look for ways to make this week different than any other camp that they will go to this summer. I love to get into the spirit of each day and encourage my kids and my students to do the same. This week, we've had hat day, crazy day and tomorrow is Hawaiian day. I must admit that crazy day is my favorite, just 'cause we get to be . . . well, crazy. (However, some might say that crazy day is every day for me during VBS week.)

My co-teacher & friend, Lisa, and me on hat day!


The whole family on crazy/silly day!!

I also love the chance to pour God's truth over these precious children that God has put in my hands each day. I love telling them about how much God loves them. It's awesome to hear them repeat verses that they learned early in the week. It's fun to watch them "fight" each other to see who can tell me the Truth of the Day. It's encouraging when they answer the questions I ask, but a little tough when I just get blank stares in response. It's hard to hold the laughter in when a child answers that the shepherds praised "a big, metal, golden cow" when Jesus was born. It's tear-jerking when I see that light go off in their minds as they hear how Jesus took their punishment to allow them to spend forever with God. Some people have been looking forward to 12:15 on Friday afternoon since 8:45 Monday morning. However, this year, I have to say that I'm a bit sad that it's over. I just pray that what they have heard will be remembered, that those little seeds will find a chance to be watered and nourished.

It's family night tonight and I'm off to pop the kids in the bath - hopefully I can still get out all the hair color before it's too late!!

0 comments: