Friday, June 27, 2008

Quiet Time Reflections

Everyone has a different "technique" in doing their prayer times - their time alone with God. Some in the morning, some at night, some at a lunch break. Some journal. Some talk out loud. Some can do it while they are doing other things. However you do it, if you're spending time with God and diving into His Word, then that is the main point. I am one of those people who has to do it first thing in the morning. (If not it doesn't get done then, then it doesn't get done, regardless of my intentions.) I journal my prayers (mostly to help keep me focused). I like to have some type of plan at what I'm reading in the Bible. (I can't just open it up and wing it each day.) I say all that to say that I finished one of my prayer journals today - I filled it up.

Now usually, that's just a sign that I need to go find the next journal (which is really just an inexpensive notebook) that I bought recently when I noticed that I was getting near the end. However, God had a different plan for me today. He lead me to go back and read through my prayers (something I don't do too often - unfortunately). He reminded me all the things that I had lifted up over the past few months and showed me how He had answered them. He showed me how things I have been praying for have changed, and how they have stayed the same.

It was very exciting to see how God had responded to my requests. It was also interesting to see how some parts of my prayers have fallen into a rut - close to the same thing each day. I try to pray each day with true sincerity and it is not just a rote thing, but I enjoy my routine. I have certain people I pray for each day (immediate family on Mondays, extended family on Tuesdays, etc. etc.). I have a general flow that I usually pray through. However, He reminded me that it's not to be the same ole, same ole each day. Psalm 149:1 reads, "Praise the LORD. Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise in the assembly of the saints." Our words of praise are not to be stale things that are recited each day just because it's the thing to do.

So, I am now on a quest to change and excite and add a bang of newness to my prayer time. I'd love to hear your suggestions. I need to remember to take time to look back and see where and how He has worked, not just pray and move on. Off I go . . . .

0 comments: