Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Back2School Retreat

Craig and I have been involved in our church's youth ministry for almost 13 years. For the first few years, we were both at everything, including taking our work vacations to be a part of the youth mission trips. However, when Trinity arrived, I had to really step back my involvement in youth trips. It was hard at first and a tad jealous of the fun that Craig got to have with all the youth. However, over the years, I have come to accept my role as mom first and youth worker a it lower. As the children have gotten older, I have been able to join some short trips and last week brought another opportunity. Last week brought our annual end of the summer trip, the Back To School Retreat (or the B2SR).

I had a great time hanging out with the youth during this short overnight trip. It is the first trip for the upcoming sixth graders and the final trip for the graduating seniors. The first day, we went tubing down the Ocoee River. It was a great time of relaxing and fun.

The seniors on the trip - Chris, Ronnie, Alex and Luke and their Sunday school teacher Laura

Craig and I are ready to tube!

Success at standing on the tube - ya for me!!

We found a great swinging rope and Craig climbed almost all the way to the top.

Later that afternoon, we had a raft relay between two teams. It took a bit of energy, but it was lots of fun (Craig's and my team beat the team of Bud and Brett - way to go team #2!!!)

That night, we enjoyed a good time of teaching and worship. Brett took the time to introduce our new youth theme scripture -
I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people,
and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.
Jeremiah 24:7

Sean, one of our seniors for this upcoming year, did a great job leading our worship time around the fire. What a great way to end the night. I truly love to hear our students worship our God!!


Unfortunately, the sleeping arrangements weren't the best. For some reason, I felt as though I got absolutely no sleep - you know one of those nights where I felt as thought I was up all night.
Thursday, we were told that due to rain during the night, we were unable to participate in the rappelling wall. The rain also added a unique challenge to the low ropes course, which mostly took place on logs - slick, muddy logs.


We returned home Thursday afternoon. We were filled in about what went on at home while we were gone. My mom and the kids had a great two days. They decorated visors and did lots and lots of playing!!

Thanks Mom for making the trip down to watch the kids to allow both of us to go on the trip! We (obviously) couldn't have done it without your help with the munchkins!

0 comments: