Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chattahochee Challenge

Saturday, I stepped up my running experience and ran in a 10K (6.2 miles) event. Well, I use the term "ran" lightly. Let's say, I participated. My first 5K (3.1 miles) event was almost a year ago, so I was glad to move up to the next level. However, it was part of the plan. In March, seven friends and I are heading down to Orlando to participate in the Disney Princess Half Marathon (13.1 miles). This run was a good way to prepare. Six of the eight of us were able to participate in Saturday's run.



It was a cold morning. We were very thankful that the cold drizzley rain held off until the end. Unfortunately, the parking was a bit limited, so we had to park about a mile away (and we were thankful for that after we heard that some people had to park three miles away). We were glad for our cell phones as we were able to catch up with everyone else. Here are all the runners, getting ready to go.

Teri, me, Shawn, Jennifer, Barbara and Debbie - waiting for the run to start



Jennifer and I started out strong. We agreed that we were partners - we run around the same level and it's helpful to have a buddy to encourage you along the way. We were feeling good, using a run-for-four-minutes, walk-for-one-minute rotation. Right before we hit the two mile mark, we saw the leaders rounding back and hitting mile four. We all cheered them on.


Unfortunately, my knee began hurting a bit around mile four. That sometime happens if I run too fast. The adenaline hits me and I forget to slow it down in the beginning. So, as a result, I had to walk a little bit more than I wanted to for the last two miles or so. However, the good thing is that I finished and I was pleased with my first time - 1:11:12.


It was great to encourage the others as they finished. That's the thing I looking forward to on our half marathon weekend - the comradarie and the change to hang out with my friends. Less than a month to go!!

1 comments:

Brooke said...

That is a great time! I am so proud of you. You are gonna rock the half!f