Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Did It!!

Well today was the big test. After a few months of running on the treadmill and a few runs around Trinity's school running path, the big morning arrived. I ate the "runner's meal" of spaghetti last night and headed to bed early. The alarm went off this morning at 6 AM to give me plenty of time to eat breakfast before the race began. My wonderful husband loaded up the kids and their breakfasts and we all drove over to the mall to experience my first 5K run.

I met my running buddy (and trainer), Jen, and we got our race numbers and headed to the start line. It was cold - just below 40 degrees. It was raining - that slow, cold drizzle of a rain. But run we did. We started out near the back, where true slower runners should start. I was anticipating running for a bit then walking a little bit. We crossed the 1 mile mark and I was feeling pretty good. We got our cup of water around the 1.5 mile run and I was still feeling pretty good. We hit a little hill right around the 2 mile mark and felt great relief when we got to run back downhill. At that point, I was running on adrenaline and the possible thought that maybe I could run the whole thing. We could see the final turn into the finish line. We were so close. We crossed the 3 mile mark. We could see the finish line and made the final surge. 34 minutes!! It felt great!!

everyone's off

starting out the race

my trooper kids cheering me on in the cold and rain!!

crossing the finish line!








I truly enjoyed the run. I think it was a great combination of race-day adrenaline, knowing that I would be quite colder if I walked and the knowledge that I wasn't going to have to do a painful arm workout when I finished this run. I am looking forward to my next run!! I couldn't have done it alone. Thanks Jen for pushing me each step on the treadmills. Thanks Craig for coming out to cheer me on as we started and ended, for taking care of the kids and for simply (and greatly) braving the yucky cold and rain to be there to support me!!

2 comments:

Whitlamy said...

Shannon, that's AWESOME!!! I'm so impressed you ran the whole thing!!! Way to go!

Jen Smathers said...

You did awesome!! You were a machine today! Next time we'll have a better plan, I think we could have had an even better time if we'd picked it up a notch a little sooner. The next race day is coming soon... :-)