Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Swim Lessons

Another summer, another round of swimming lessons. I am a huge believer that my kids will learn to swim. Growing up in Orlando, everyone had a pool. I had a blast swimming. I don't want my kids to miss out on that fun. Kalyn is a lover of the water. She's jump off the side, attempt to swim underwater and loves splashing around. Trinity is slightly more . . . umm, how should I put this . . . timid about water. She is not a fan (AT ALL) of putting her face underwater or having water even poured over her head. She's in her third year of swim lessons, usually having to take a class at least twice to pass their little exam at the end. We are greatly, greatly appreciative to my parents who have volunteered to cover the costs of all swimming lessons. We've been very pleased with our Roswell Recreation Department and their swim lessons. Their costs are very affordable (around $45 for 8 classes - 4 days a week for 2 straight weeks) and they have great teachers.
This year, we were looking forward to having everyone in a swim class at the same time - Trinity in Level 2, Kalyn in Level 1 and Xander and me in the Mommy & Me class. I must admit that I was not too excited to be jumping in the cool water, but nevertheless, I was willing. Unfortunately, we arrived the first day to find out that Xander's class was cancelled due to not having enough students sign up. He was a bit more upset than I was. He kept asking to go to his class. However, if any class had to be cancelled, I was glad it was his. It meant I didn't have to get in the cold water and I could watch the other two in their classes.

We were so excited to discover that Trinity's class was being taught by Miss Grace. Grace was Trinity's teacher in her first class two summers ago and was excellent. She had such patience and encouragement for Trinity. When we walked up to class the first day, she told us that as soon as she saw Trinity's name on the roster, she offered to teach that class. That's saying A LOT because Trinity was not what you would call a smooth student in her first class. She was more like that child that you see out and say, "I am so glad that's not my child." Yep, that was her. Screaming, crying, pulling away from the water. But she made progress from that first couple of days. And here we are today. Another bonus was that two of Trinity's friends from school were in the class with her. It was looking to be good.
Last week's lessons went well. We also had a number of opportunities to head over to the Lifetime pool for out-of-class practice for Trinity. I'm thinking that has made a difference. Here are some pictures of our girls in their lessons.
the girls were not too excited about even getting in the baby pool the first day
a big splash for Miss Grace

Trinity's swimming with putting her face underwater

Xander climbs up to get a better view of Trinity's class

Kalyn and her teacher, Miss Casey


Kalyn's out in the water
Trinity working on her strokes


While I enjoy watching the girls, I do give Xander a break some days as we head down to the playground. He has fun with the slides, ladders, swings and simply running around.

0 comments: