Monday, January 12, 2009

Dave

For a number of years, I have heard my mom speak highly of Dave Ramsey. He has a radio show based out of Nashville (where they live) and she often gets to listen to it. If you haven't heard him, he is quite the financial guru. He loves to help people get out of debt and apply Biblical principles when it comes to finances. Most of the things I have heard are pretty basic, often falling under that heading of common sense. However, that common sense is become more and more uncommon. A number of years ago, they even gave us a copy of Dave's main program - Financial Peace University. Well, we just never had (okay, correction, made) the time to sit down and do it. Plus, I think we kind of thought that we were doing okay. I mean, I'm not saying we're wealthy at all (financially speaking). We have a little bit of debt (most of it in our house and Craig's truck), but we also have retirement plans and college savings plans in place for our kids. We didn't have huge credit cards debts. So, like I said, we felt like we were doing okay.


Skip ahead a few years. A few weeks ago, our church began advertising for their winter discipleship classes. Usually, Craig and I don't pay too much attention because they conflict with our ministry opportunities and commitment to the youth ministry. But, this winter they are doing the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University. Knowing that we already had the needed book, I talked it over with Craig - what if I took a slight break from the youth ministry on Sunday nights to attend the class? He thought that would be a good idea.

So, Sunday night was our first preview session. I am really excited about starting it up in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to getting a new view of how we can use our money more wisely and in turn become more giving with what we have. I'll let you know how it goes as we proceed in the class. It's a thirteen week class, so it's nothing short and sweet. Looks like my body and my wallet will be getting some workouts this year!

0 comments: