Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election '08

It's currently 7:30 in the evening. The kids are in bed and we are beginning a night of watching the presidential election results. (Actually, we were just debating how long we are going to watch it verses simply checking in from time to time.)



I hope that you made the time to vote this year - whether is was with early voting or voting today, I hope that you took advantage of the privilege we have to make our voice heard in this democratic process. I had planned to do an early voting, however after seeing the lines and hearing wait times of over two hours, I decided that I would take my chances on election day. This morning, Craig and I decided that I would hit the polling place first, while he stayed home with the kids. Not knowing how long the wait would be, we weren't going to chance three active kids in the line. Thankfully, the wait was only 40 minutes. I had a book and got a bit of reading done. I came home and we traded out. Craig's wait was even less.



In our area, a number of voting places are schools. To avoid any safety issues, our schools are closed, which meant Trinity was home with us all day. I really wanted to make the day special and do something fun as a full family. We had discussed heading to the zoo for the 1/2 price for voters (and their parties) special, but we change our plans to go to a movie. We had been told of a very inexpensive theater not far and off we went. An added bonus, Tuesday is $.75 movie day - yep, our family of 5 got to watch Kung Fu Panda for less than $4!!!! Okay, so Kung Fu Panda has been out for quite a while, but our kids didn't know the difference.



What ever the outcome of the election, I am confident that my future is in the hands of Someone larger than the president. I am grateful that God holds me and gives me the faith, strength and all that I need to wake up each morning. If you want to know how you can have that same peace, let me know. I'll be glad to share with you.

0 comments: